Just when something goes terribly wrong, this is the time when you just updated your WordPress site. Displays the error message, indicating that “the site is experiencing technical Difficulties issues.”
Your heart sinks. This WordPress error is uninformative, unimaginative. With no idea the way to fix it or what you probably did wrong, it’s hard to understand what step to require next.
Luckily, if you’ve updated your WordPress to five .2+, there’s a clue hidden within the error. WordPress 5.2 introduced a replacement thanks to providing you with a warning to PHP errors that might otherwise end in your site displaying a blank page (also referred to as WSoD: The White Screen of Death).
Due to a fatal PHP error, WSD now displays two new messages:
• “The site is experiencing technical difficulties.” This one occurs for public pages only.
• “The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.” This one
happens once you attempt to attend a wp-admin page.
In this article by our team at wpDataTables, we’ll walk you thru how you’ll fix the “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” error all by yourself. Read on to save lots of your site from unnecessary downtime.
What’s the meaning of this error?
The “the site is experiencing technical difficulties” WordPress error message is just a generic error that would mean many things. Don’t worry, it doesn’t mean that your site has been deleted or is totally broken. there’s usually a simple solution.
As mentioned, WordPress 5.2 and above will typically show this error when there’s a drag with invalid PHP code. a possible culprit is either a topic or a plugin update, or maybe even a core WordPress update.
In rare cases, the error message will appear when there is actually nothing wrong – but instead, your website will only need to give an automatic update. The error message will show until the update is completed. this will happen albeit the message you’re alleged to receive is “Briefly unavailable for care . Check back during a minute.”
If the error persists for extended than, say, 10 minutes, then you’ll make certain that there’s a true problem somewhere. Let’s investigate and solve this!
“The site is experiencing technical difficulties.”
The easiest thanks to start out is to place WordPress in debug mode. this may make WordPress display any PHP errors it encounters whenever you are trying to access your site. you’ll also set debug mode to supply a log file you’ll check out while preventing the error from being shown publicly.
First, you’ll get to find the wp-config.php file. With cPanel, you’ll undergo File Manager to try to do this, otherwise, you can FTP into your server directly. The file should be in your root WordPress directory.
• To found out debug mode to make a personal log file, you’ll get to add the subsequent code. you’ll add it anywhere above /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
define( ‘WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY’, false );
• Once you’ve added the above lines hit save then refresh a page on your site.
• Go to the /wp-content/ folder in File Manager or FTP to ascertain the file log.
• What you’re checking out may be a line reading ‘PHP Fatal Error:’.
PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclarebp_members_screen_display_profile() (previously declared in /…/buddypress/bp-members/screens/profile.php:22) in /…/buddypress/bp-members/screens/profile.php on line 32
As you’ll see, it shows the trail where the web site issue lies. It even shows the file name and name of the plugin causing the difficulty . Read carefully to work out exactly which theme or plugin caused the matter .
This way, you’ll know whether the matter was a plugin, theme, or WordPress core issue.
Once you can identify, you will delete the theme or plugin that caused the issue and voila, your site will be effective again!
Now you ought to get in-tuned with the creator of the theme or plugin to inform them you had this problem in order that they can fix the bug. Of course, you’ll always attempt to fix it yourself supported the error message, but if you are doing attempt to do so, remember to copy your site files first.
After you’ve finished, remove the code lines you added to your wp-config.php file and save.
Solve theme conflicts
• To check if the matter was with a topic, you would like to seek out your theme in your File Manager or FTP program. Click wp-content then find your theme.
• Rename your active theme. you’ll then check if wp-admin starts working again. If it does, the difficulty was caused by your theme.
• If the difficulty was your theme, contact the author to allow them to realize the bug. they will assist you to solve the matter.
• If in any case no change is made, return your theme to its original name. the matter wasn’t caused by your theme.
Solve plugin conflicts
• If you can’t get into the WordPress admin section, access the public_html directory together with your File Manager or FTP.
• Navigate to wp-content, then plugins, and it renames the plugins folder. Afterward, reload your site. If that works, the matter was one among your plugins.
• If indeed the difficulty was caused by a plugin you’ll change the name of your plugins folder back.
• Now, start changing each plugin name to a different name and back one at a time to ascertain which was causing a drag. once you figure it out, delete the culprit.
Upgrade your version of PHP
• The issue could be because you haven’t switched to the most recent PHP. you would possibly see a PHP fatal error because your version isn’t supported by WordPress anymore. Any version of PHP but 5.6 doesn’t work anymore.
• Even if you’re running PHP 5.6, you would possibly encounter the “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” error, so to avoid the error within the future, it’s advised that you simply update your PHP to 7+.
• To confirm that your theme and plugin work with the newest PHP version, use the PHP Compatibility Checker.
Ending thoughts on the way to fix the “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” error
• In this text, we’ve covered 4 possible ways to repair the “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” error message. If you tried the primary method and you couldn’t find out what’s wrong with the debug messages, undo what you probably did and check out to unravel the plugin or theme conflicts with troubleshooting.
• It’s important to always undo the changes you’ve made if you were unsuccessful in solving the error. Otherwise, you would possibly find yourself with more problems down the road.